North Somerset: Changing Places at the Beach
- North Somerset wanted a Changing Places installation on the sea front beside the beach. They have accessed the funding from UK government and wanted to be the first to deliver the toilet.
- It was quicker for the project not to build a new structure, but to refit an existing building on the seafront.
- With our project partners, Astor Bannerman, we have completely altered and refitted an area of the building known as Tropicana on the Weston Super Mare sea front.
- The changing Places toilet was fitted within 4 weeks of receiving the order.
Healthmatic has a 50,000 ft2 factory producing Modular Toilets of all shapes and sizes. While this project was not for a modular building, we wanted to include it for four main reasons:
- This was the first Changing Places in the UK to be fitted post the allocation of the funding available for the English Councils.
- It demonstrates our working with Astor Bannerman – which is a partnership we have set up in order to help bring as many changing places to the UK as possible.
- It demonstrates speed when required. As with your two locations, working on the seafront during the season is not going to happen. So this project, conceived in April this year, had to be in and complete before the end of June.
The picture below show the unit – the red tags hanging down are waiting for the fire company to install the smoke and heat detectors.